About Our Church Building
St, Margaret’s Church was built in 1861 on an acre of ground formerly part of ‘Warren Field’. It was part of a massive church-building effort – from 1840 to 1876, 145 new churches were built in the Diocese of Oxford. The building was completed in just ten months in the neo-Gothic style, and at a below budget cost of just £2,645 (less than half the average cost).
The Church was consecrated on March 12th 1862 b the Bishop of Oxford, Samuel Wilberforce, son of the anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce MP. The Bishop himself had contributed towards the cost of the building.
The Church has some fine late 19th century and early 20th century stained glass windows. But the most interesting one is the East window, depicting the Virgin Mary in a striking blue, holding the infant Jesus. This was designed by the famous architect, designer and craftsman Martin Travers, in a neo-Baroque style. Travers was commissioned by the Rector, the Revd. Cecil Dunkerley in 1931. Below the East window is the striking fully-carved reredos with the central crucifix and its unusual lettering, with the text from John chapter 12 verse 32.
The side-chapel houses an impressive War Memorial erected in 1950 and is dedicated to the soldier saint, St. Martin of Tours. A Parish Room and kitchen facilities were added to the Church in 1994, where many of our activities take place.
The Friends of St. Margaret's raise funds to help maintain our Church building. For more information about the Friends of St. Margaret's, please contact John Lane.
Photo by Holly Ward